The 1934 McCormick-Deering WD-40 on the September/October 2015 issue of Antique Power magazine is one of three machines McCormick-Deering produced in advance of regular WD-40 manufacture. The owner has thoroughly researched and documented its history, and he believes its “503” serial number makes it the third of those three pre-production units.
I enjoyed photographing it for this cover story, as well as visiting with its restorers. The tractor’s owner, Eric Best, wrote the story that accompanies my photos.
What else is in this issue?
- A Case of Family History — Jonathan and Wayne Woodrum’s 1967 Case 430 (Mark C. Dalton)
- Craftsmen & Heirlooms – Buddie Knutson’s Galloway Farmobile (Jim Hinckley)
- Industrial Deere – Charles Jay’s Yellow John Deere MI (Candace Brown)
- The Best McCormick-Deering – In 1934, IH ordered three pre-production WD-40s; Eric Bests’ tractor is number three! (Eric Best)
- Short Life, Long Shadow – Minneapolis-Moline’s 5 Star (Chad Elmore)
- Single Wheel with Umbrella – 1958 Ford 741 (Ray Hoffman)
- Getting a Rusty Restoration Right (Tim W. Elder)
- Of Grease & Chaff — Special Tools, Pt. 1.5 (Ted Kalvitis)
- The Canada Connection — Ideal for More than a Century (Rick Mannen)
- The Yankee’s Attic — Dual Images (Ed Bezanson)
- Tech Tips — When Multi/Trans-Disciplinary Knowledge Failed Me (Ted Kalvitis)
- Tractor Show — Readers show off their favorites